Lame SQL, Just Lame

We have a table with a bunch of columns that are of “bit” type. I want to count the number of bits flipped to 1 in those columns. Seems like that should be a fairly common use case, doesn’t it? Count won’t work because it gives me a count of all the records, not just the bits flipped to 1. SUM() function on these columns gives this error: “Operand data type bit is invalid for sum operator.” Seriously?! Again, lame.

Captain America: Civil War

Took Friday off to see the new Captain America movie, the one movie my husband and I have really been looking forward to this year.  Two thumbs up I say!  I was surprised by some of what happened, plus the humor factor is still there.  Honestly, these last 2 Captain America movies are what I think the Bond franchise could have been and what they should strive to be.  Not quite giving it 5 stars, I think it got a little heavy on the number of characters this time around, but still a great movie I would highly recommend.  🙂

Quantum Break

Fun game with a good story.  It quickly becomes evident as to why they hired actors for the game, there are several movie clips to watch throughout the game after each episode.  The lower rating is because the game is really short, maybe 5-7 hours of game play, and the movie clips are 20-30 minutes long!  I’d seriously get to the point that I forgot I was playing a game while watching these really long segues.  The game is meant to be played more than once to go through each option and see all the clips, but once was good […]


Today I submitted my graduation application at WGU.  I already have a B.S. in Computer Science, but once I started working in management it became clear that I needed to figure out the business side of things.  I’d end up in meetings with terms being thrown around that I didn’t really understand like the business people did.  At my last job the CEO of the company met with all of middle management every other week to discuss company goals, direction, mission/vision statements, etc.  The company was growing and he knew he was losing touch with all the new hires coming […]

Weird SQL Concatenation

At work I automate reports that usually pull a really large chunk of data from several tables in our loan origination software.  Today I came across a report with a blank value where I was concatenating 2 fields together: CASE SubProp.PropertyType WHEN 0 THEN ‘SINGLE FAMILY’ WHEN 1 THEN ‘SINGLE FAMILY’ WHEN 2 THEN ‘SINGLE FAMILY’ WHEN 3 THEN ‘CONDO’ WHEN 4 THEN ‘HIGH RISE CONDO’ WHEN 5 THEN ‘DETACHED CONDO’ WHEN 6 THEN ‘PUD’ WHEN 7 THEN ‘COOPERATIVE’ WHEN 8 THEN ‘MANUFACTURED’ WHEN 9 THEN ‘MANUFACTURED CONDO/PUD/CO-OP’ WHEN 10 THEN ‘MANUFACTURED SINGLEWIDE’ WHEN 11 THEN ‘MANUFACTURED SINGLEWIDE’ WHEN 12 […]